(This is an updated post from Memorial Day). MEMORIAL 2009 GARAGE SALE WEEKEND
- Twice a year, Lake Arrowhead and surrounding mountain communities have "Garage Sale Weekend." We have one on Memorial Weekendand one on Labor Day Weekend. This past Memorial Weekend, we got RAINED out, which was unusual. But the weather-people are predicting that this WEEKEND is going to be fabulous!
In our mountain communities, having GARAGE SALES these two weekends (and any other for that matter) gives the full-time and part-time mountain residents a chance to clean out, clear out, declutter and make a few bucks. Since 50% of our home-owners are "weekenders," this is PERFECT for them. Especially IF they are selling their cabin/home. Instead of packing up unwanted pieces of furniture and other household items, they can help someone else who has purchased a place and is looking to furnish it without buying all new furnishings or having to haul it up here. DID I mention RECYCLING? Garage Sales really are the BEST way to recycle.
Here are a few tips that may help you have a successfulGarage Sale.
- ADVERTISE--in your local newspaper, You Tube, Craigslist
- SIGNSdirecting people to your sale. Put on your creative hat: whatever you use (cardboard, etc)Write BIG, BOLD and CLEAR. Include: date, time and address. Use directional arrows >>>>. (Make sure it is okay to put up signs in your area)
- CLEAN/WASH/WIPE DOWN items for sale. They'll look better and sell faster.
- PRICE ITEMS THE NIGHT BEFORE; use stick-on labels, A bright COLOR is good.
- SET UP ITEMS in some orderly fashion: Shoes in one spot, dishes is another, clothing in another, etc.
- WAIST HIGH tables--Make it easy for YOUR customers to check out the goodies. Bending and crawling around on the ground, just isn't that much fun. Clothing should be on hangers and hanging at eye-level.
- GO TO THE BANK and get $100 worth of change: ones, fives, tens and coins.
- SET UP A TABLEwhere customers can come and pay for items. KEEP jewelry here and other small valuables.
- WEAR a fanny pack; This can be your CASH REGISTER
- THINK LIKE A STORE OWNER.
- Most important...HAVE FUN!!!!
Get a copy of the MOUNTAIN NEWS for the MAP of GARAGE SALES
Check here for LOCAL WEATHER Gonna be PERFECT (8/29/2008)
For your Lake Arrowhead Real Estate needs: Kathy "Kat" DeLong, REALTOR.
To view ALL listings in and around Lake Arrowhead CLICK HERE.
ORIGINAL CONTENT WRITTEN BY KAT DELONG
Visit My Website for all things Lake Arrowhead + More
Search Lake Arrowhead + Surrounding Area Homes For Sale