“What can I do? I’m bored!” Have you ever said this to yourself or others ? Have you ever sat around wondering what you could be doing that may help your community and fill your gaps of time with boredom ?
It may seem like an odd suggestion to both you and the ones around you battling this dreaded affliction of “boredom”, but community service and volunteering in your area may be exactly the medicine you need to cure boredom.
Now, this may be a tough sell because on the surface, community service isn’t the couch or even a computer game that occupies your time. It is something so much different from any of those repacked amusements. It’s for real. Lots of computer games are made to give you the feeling you created something whether it’s a city, an alien planet or a spaceship. But when you turn off the computer, that creation is gone because it never was real. And, we won't even get into how the lounging on the couch to cure boredom doesn't benefit you.
With community service you DO create something and not by talking to a pretend civilization on the computer screen or the TV or yourself. Instead, what you create is real, it will be there tomorrow when you go back. And, you are working with real people and solving real problems. You become a valuable member of the community, and there is not better feeling than that!
There are tons of other great reasons to get involved in community service this summer or as a hobby to replace the endless hours playing computer games. There is such a huge variety of things you can get involved with through community service that you can get your hands dirty on a hobby or an interest that you really want to be involved in. And you won’t be just enjoying that great interest by yourself because you will be working side by side with other youths, older kids in college or beyond, young dads and moms and even grandparents all who don’t want to sit home and be bored and would rather be out there being somebody for someone else.
Volunteering can even give you as much variety as playing games or flipping through the TV Channels. In most towns or cities, there is a community service coordinating group that will have dozens and dozens of ways you can plug in and do something for someone else.
Some of the great ways you can pitch in and help out might include…
- Helping in food banks stocking food that will go out to underprivileged families, single parents or even hurricane survivors.
- Serving meals at homeless shelters to families who really need the help. In fact, after the meal is over, those homeless kids and adults would like nothing more than to spend a few hours with a new friend enjoying a simple game or just learning about each other.
- Reading to the blind or the elderly in nursery homes. You think its great hearing a story? You haven’t had a thrill until you read it to someone else who has never heard it and you see their face as they enjoy every new twist and turn of the plot.
- Volunteer in Libraries helping people learn to read or help tutor students in subjects that are problematic for them
- Churches can always use extra hands with fundraisers, bake sales and even youth groups.
Community service gives hands of any age a chance to really make a difference to others in the community. But, maybe, the most important thing it does is it opens eyes to how great it is to stop worrying about the little things and helps someone else out for a little while. It is the kind of addiction you will be glad you got into. And, chances are you will never again complain, “What can I do? I’m bored!”
For ways you can help and places you can volunteer visitVolunteer Match Here
Visit My Website for all things Lake Arrowhead + More
Search Lake Arrowhead + Surrounding Area Homes For Sale